Monday, July 20, 2009

Grumpy Old People



I did absolutely nothing today, and it feels great after having had such a hectic past few days. I attended a conference in Orlando over the weekend (more about that tomorrow), and I had such an unpleasant experience upon returning home. I was one of the first off the plane upon arriving in Orange County, and I was able to score a spot right in front of the luggage shoot in the baggage claim area. Typically, people gathered as close to me as possible since they didn't want to walk a few feet over to spread out. This older man (in a straw hat nonetheless) shoved past me to get his luggage and then wacked me, and the person standing to the right of me, with his bag. She made a bit of a noise when he wacked us, and I looked at her and said, "I know, I guess it's hard for some people to stay excuse me nowadays."

This old man had the nerve to turn to me and say, "Well, I had to get my bag."

I just looked at him and said, "I understand sir, but you could have said excuse me."

He just turned and walked away.

I cannot tell you how flustered this experience left me. I always assumed that older people were more polite than most, but now I am second guessing things. I had attended a session at this conference where Dr. Frank Palatucci stated that one of things we could do to benefit our students the most is to teach them words like, "Please, Thanks, and Excuse me." Here that was shot to heck in the airport.

As I told my husband the story, he replied, "Well, obviously his mother didn't do a great job."

No shit. Happy Monday everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment